Oct 19, 2008

Sunday at the Crabtrees

A typical Sunday at the Crabtrees:

Getting Up and Eating:
The kids will wake up around 7, although it usually takes a concerted effort by either Tiff or Todd to get Weiland to commit to opening his eyes. They all eat breakfast with Mom. (Often it is only Quinton who eats, Ellie plays with her food and taunts the boys, and Wei just sits at the table in a daze.)

Getting Dressed:
Then Quinton gets dressed, mostly by himself, and then shows Mom how great he looks, waiting for Mom to say, "Look at my handsome boy!" He then runs around the house with a smile.

By then, often accompanied by threats and/or cajoling, Weiland is ready to get dressed. Usually he complains about not wanting to go to church. Once dressed he shows Mom his clothes and Mom says, "Look at my other handsome boy!"

While Quinton and Wei are getting dressed, Ellie and Mom are putting on Ellie's dress and doing her hair. When done, she comes to show Dad her dress and Dad always tells her, "You look so pretty. I like your pretty dress." Ellie smiles and tells Mom that Dad liked her dress.

Off to Church:
By this time, Tiff and Todd are scrambling to get finished dressing and the church bag packed and we load the car and head for church twenty minutes before it begins to get a good parking space and bench.

Sacrament Meeting:

Sacrament meeting always includes a fight over a toy, Ellie complaining about many things, and three separate attempts at a potty break. Today Ellie was so upset, she yelled, pushed off the back of the bench, fell off, and then threw herself forward and hit her face on the song book holder. Todd had to take her out at that point.

Primary Time:
They then go to class; Quinton to CTR 6, which he loves; Weiland to Sunbeams, which he does not love; and Ellie to Nursery. Lately, Ellie's teacher will say when we pick her up, "Ellie was so good today. She played with others, shared toys, and didn't hit anyone." Although that is nice to hear, it makes us wonder what she does on the days they don't say anything... Weiland is often brought to one of us during Sunday School because he refuses to cooperate during sharing time. Quinton loves to run through the halls shouting what he learned in class. One day it was, "Mom! Dad! I want to be a peacemaker!" That is great. We need more of those in our home.

After Church:
When we arrive home, it is changing time and lunch time. As you can see from the picture, it is usually run-around-in-underwear-and-not-pick-up-your-clothes-time.






By now, Mom needs a nap and the kids are sent off to entertain themselves for a while. If the weather is nice, we will take a walk around the neighborhood and the kids will play outside until the hose is turned on, kids are covered in gooey mud, or they are throwing rocks into the basement window wells (and sometimes all three.)

The rest of the day is filled with game playing, sometimes Play-Doh (but not very often because it is such a huge mess to clean up), reading stories to kids, and them playing and fighting downstairs until dinner.

All in all, it is a busy day and not very restful. But just like any other day, it is really what you make of it. Tiff and Todd do their best by putting the kids to bed and playing games with friends at 8. We do what we can to keep sane.

6 comments:

The Crabtree Chronicles said...

That's exactly how it is...I hear ya!

Rachel said...

Ha ha!! I saw Todd taking Ellie out today, and although I felt badly for you guys, I pretty much sighed with relief that we aren't the only ones having to exit the Chapel every once in a while... or constantly in our case! Cute post!!

Alaina said...

I love this! I'm glad someone else captures snippets of a day... You'll be so glad to remember what it was like!

LOOOOOVE the underwear pic!

Jeni said...

Sounds like a wild and crazy day! Could your boys look any more like Todd?? I'm getting really excited to see the new baby.....!

Kelli said...

WOW, Good luck when you have the next baby. I wish I had some good advise but I got nothing. Maybe drugs? oh wait thats against the WofW. Dang. Straight jackets? How about a big bloggy hug! and many prayers for you. You have a great attitude. Better than I would, I would just be tired and crabby. But thats because I get up about 8 to 12 every night with spoiled non sleeping children.

Dacia said...

Sounds like a typical Sunday :) I think it's great that you can get to church early. You see me walking in after it starts. Looks like fun!