Nov 15, 2008

evening of an unbalanced woman

Tonight was not one of my best. Here's how it went.
I had rented a couple of movies from Red Box and needed to return them. So at 7pm this evening we all piled in the car to run to the store to drop these off. I forgot my phone on the counter and didn't think much of it since I was only making a quick trip out. I pull up right in front of the store and where I return the movies so I can leave the kids in the car and keep an eye on them while I wait to turn these in. Of course there was a line I had to wait in and once it was my turn I slipped them in and got back to the car. But to my horror the door was locked, all the doors were locked. I panicked! I had 4 kids in the car, running I might add, and one was only two weeks old and could be screaming for all I knew. So this nice man who worked at the store saw me in distress and offered his help. Well I was in tears, being an emotional basket case still, and he kept saying "oh now don't cry" which of course made it worse. Well he pulls out his phone and asks if there is anyone I can call? My mind draws a blank. Todd is on an airplane somewhere between San Fransisco and Salt Lake, I don't know any one's phone number because I never dial them I just push their name in my phone. I got nothin'. So this man says's he'll call the police and see if they'll come and unlock my door for me. Well he's giving them the particulars, where we are, who's in the car, the make and model of the car, etc. I get on the phone and give them my name and then it dawns on me, Quinton. Quinton can open the door. so I go to the back window and tell him to come up and open the door, and two seconds later I'm in.
But wait my evening isn't over yet. We drive home and all pile out of the car and head into the house through the garage and the kids get to the door and say "mom it's locked". So you should know I don't have a house key. I haven't had one the entire time we've been at this house. I always come in by way of the garage and that door is NEVER locked! Luckily we keep a lock box on our front porch so if while we're away and some one needed to get in they would have a way. Well I go try the lock box but my code isn't working. I know my sister and her husband have used it to get in while we've been gone so they would know the code, but no cell phone. So we all pile back in the car and drive to my sisters so I can ask them for the code to get to my key. And of course I start balling trying to explain what's happened. I'm an emotional wreck!!!!
And you'll all be happy to know that the code they gave me worked and we got in.
Now both of these things wouldn't have been such a big deal if I had been rational and thought them through. I would have realized in the beginning Quinton could have opened the door, I would have remembered that our code is the same as my parents back home, (just so I could remember it). So yes I will be thrilled when my hormones get back in balance and I can react with out all the emotion involved.
(Todd will be editing this later so please excuse the grammatical mistakes : ))

12 comments:

The Crabtree Chronicles said...

Oh sweetie! You know it's because of the sleep deprivation, right? You'll be feeling like your ol' self once that cute little night owl decides to sleep for good chunks of time at night.

And there's always the annoying but true statement...."someday you'll look back at this and laugh". Yah, yah...but I'm not laughing now!

Love,
B

Ashlee said...

Oh Tiff...that stinks. I remember those days. Luckily it all goes away. Hang in there!

Kelli said...

Bloggy hugs for you.

Dacia said...

Oh my goodness, what a day! Seriously life would all be different if our harmones were always in check. At least you can find comfort in knowing we've all had similar days. Will Todd be back in town soon?

Rachel said...

Okay, next time you are stranded or just need to drop off the kids.. pleeeease, just come to my house!!! We would love it!

Anonymous said...

oh man, I'm sorry... that sounds like a very not fun evening.

Macie Crabtree said...

ok, is it rude that I am laughing? I am still feeling really really sorry for you! OK its a pity laugh! at least you can get Quinton to open the door for you! When this happened to us, Kayla and Jaden just sat there and waved at me! I was so mad!!

Jeni said...

Oh! What a rough day! I was an absolute crazy woman after I had Olivia. I remember just sitting on the floor and crying about nothing... and everything!

Angie said...

You poor thing. It sounds like a terrible thing to go through--especially after just having had a baby! I hear you about the hormones. I hate that "crying over everything" stage. I'm glad everything worked out for you, though.

Camille said...

I'm sorry Tiffany! The newborn hormonal sleep deprived fog is at our house too, just so you know, if your kids are locked in the locksmith guy can't charge you to unlock the car. Yes, I know this from personal experience!

Konrad said...

OK, I know you are looking for sympathy, and you do deserve it... but can I just add that if you are going to leave the kids in the car (which I also do for very quick trips rather than dragging them all in) I can't say that I recommend leaving the car running? As in, "Here Mr. Carjacker - I left it running to make it easier. Oh, and make sure the kids are back in time for dinner". Probably not too many carjackers in Rexburg, but you never know when one could be visiting from Sugar City... Something tells me you won't be leaving the kids in the car anytime soon anyway, so I probably should have just wished you a bloggy hug. Lest you think I'm insincere, I'll wish you one of those as well.

The Sillito Family said...

So sorry... at least you have the new mom/hormone explanation to give people. I have been known to do similar things with no valid excuse whatsoever! :)